A marriage of Apple and Microsoft products isn’t really what you would expect to see in a home media system but Rivet (at only $18) offers just that. Rivet sits on the your Mac and will share your music, film and photo libraries with the XBox 360. Setup could not be easier.
Download Rivet. Double click the icon to run the software and a series of windows take you through the initial setup. To be honest the double click is as hard as the setup actually gets. Within seconds we were up and running.
The preferences are also very simple to use and setup. If you have more than one Xbox360 (not too sure who has) then you can set up access controls to limit what devices have access to your shared media.
Having upgraded to the latest Xbox360 system software I went directly to video, music, and photos and my iMac was listed as a media source.
- Music streaming – Listen to your iTunes music library through your stereo system and while playing games.
- Video streaming – No need to let your big screen TV go to waste because your video files are all on your Mac. Stream them over to it and fully enjoy them in the comfort of your couch.
- Photo streaming – View all of your photos right on your TV. It’s vacation slides for the 21st century. Your family and friends won’t be able to get enough! You can share photos from both your iPhoto or Aperture libraries and from folders on your hard drive.
- Organize your media – Every movie or photo folder that you share is exactly replicated on your Xbox 360 and PS3. Organize them into subfolders by TV show, genre, or whatever you want. The entire folder structure will be there. No more scrolling through a huge, flat list.
- Album Art and Thumbnails – View album art (PS3 only), video, and photo thumbails powered by Leopard’s QuickLook technology.
- iLife Integration – Rivet automatically imports and displays you iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture libraries. No need to manage your media again,all of your organization is reproduced.
- Auto media updating – Add, delete, or move your media all you want. The changes will automatically appear on your Xbox 360 and PS3.
- Format support – If your Xbox 360 or PS3 can play it, Rivet can handle it. Supported formats include: AAC, MP3, WMA, H.264, DIVX, AVI, WMV, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, RAW, TIFF, PSD, PDF, and more.
If you own a 360 give it a try now.